Monday, December 8, 2008

Proud Momma Moment

Well, I've now officially become a band parent. My fifth grade son had his first band concert on Friday. It went really well.

My dear son chose to play the same instrument that I play - the clarinet. Needless to say, I was positively thrilled. He had me convinced he might want to be a trumpeter (heaven help me!) or a percussionist (ladies, lock up your daughters!) Now, I'd be able to help him with any kind of trouble he might face with the instrument; I already had one for him to use, so there was no need to rent one; things were looking pretty good. He even seemed to have a predisposition for the instrument - his initial tone production was good, fingers were sturdy. (Remember, I teach music, so I tend to be pretty critical.) However, I was SOOOOOO nervous. I didn't want him to squeak or squeal or any of those other horrible sounds that can come out of a newbie instrument player.

His section stood to play their first song as a group - I was so enthralled, I forgot to take pictures! (Now that's pretty major for a dedicated scrapbooker!) He did really well. I did manage to shoot a bit of a video of the whole group for their final song. I'll have to put it in later.

So, now I have become a band parent. It's not so bad...first soccer mom, now band parent, what could be next? Parent of a teenager - don't think I'm ready for that one yet.



My son and his buddies



Ready to play on the big day!

No comments: